Complete Story


Do need to be licensed to sell storage insurance in NC?

Plaza Mini Storage - Robert Valentine

Just received a notice from Ponderosa Insurance stating we need to be licensed to sell storage insurance in NC.
Last I heard here, several years ago, that was not a fact. Has something changed?

Printer-Friendly Version


Kevin Leebrick on Wednesday 12/20/2017 at 04:24PM wrote:

They are correct. Most Tenant Insurance companies will help you walk through the process.

Eric Gilbert on Friday 01/19/2018 at 09:55AM wrote:

Good Morning Robert,
This has been a debate in multiple circles. Some products do not require a license because owner/operators refer their tenants to a carrier to purchase. Some owners purchase the insurance and transfer the cost on to the tenant by making it mandatory to purchase. Lastly, is being licensed, this allows your site supervisors to discuss coverages and make recommendations. All of the options for you to consider but I would first suggest looking at multiple options, compare coverages and referral income that they are offering before choosing one.

You can give me a call and we can discuss in greater detail. (919) 559-3596

Eric Gilbert, MSM-RMI, CWCC
Gilbert & Associates Risk Management Services

Disclaimer: The opinions expressed in the comments shown above are those of the individual comment authors and do not reflect the opinions of this organization.