Complete Story


How do you go about filing a judgement for the amount that is not collected at the auction?

A-1 Personal Storage - Amy Coumbes

How do you go about filing a judgement for the amount that is not collected at the auction? Do we need to file a "Complaint For Money Owed" through the Clerk Of Court? This is a small claims form.

Printer-Friendly Version


Kris in NC on Thursday 04/12/2018 at 03:08PM wrote:

I don't know why you'd want to spend all of that time and money on going through the courts. Just send the tenant to collections. We used a company called Universal Credit. Phone # is (858) 541-7623-ask for Don. They're based in CA but work nationwide. There are no guarantees that you're going to get your money back but at least you may get some, and avoid the hassle of court. Just my opinion. It used to be they'd get a percentage of what they collect, but their process may have changed so def talk to them.

Connie Long on Thursday 04/12/2018 at 03:52PM wrote:

I would not advise going through court unless it is several thousand dollars, its just not worth the time and money it takes to go through the court system. Our solution has been to do auctions at 60-70 days late so big balances don't build up. Hope this helps.

Steve Hajewski on Thursday 04/12/2018 at 04:00PM wrote:

Agree with Connie... not worth the hassle. Chalk it up as a cost of doing business. Hold auctions as quickly as possible to minimize outstanding debt and increase the chances that they pay up rather than let it go to auction.

Kevin Leebrick on Monday 04/16/2018 at 09:44AM wrote:

Find a good collections agency. There is usually little to no money upfront and they only get paid when you do.

Disclaimer: The opinions expressed in the comments shown above are those of the individual comment authors and do not reflect the opinions of this organization.